2 months ago
– Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 10:12:20 PM
Retail Listing... news to me!
Yesterday, I discovered a troublesome issue! I googled "Yooka Laylee Kracklestone," and was surprised to see a couple comic book retailers offering our book for pre-order! Wait, huh?!
You're hearing it directly from me: the ONLY way to get a copy of Kracklestone (at least for the foreseeable future) is directly through this campaign, via the pre-order store, and, eventually, the Dreamprism Press Shop at www.dreamprismpress.com. I will not be providing stock to any other store.
So what's going on with these retailers?
Mostly, it has to do with my misunderstanding of how comic shops operate in acquiring books. I was fortunate to have Kracklestone accepted into the Diamond Previews Catalogue, through which just about every comic shop in the country orders its stock of books. I didn't realize this catalogue placement meant some retailers would immediately list the book for pre-order!
So, why is this a problem? Four reasons:
- Retailers undercut my own campaign by selling the book for less than I can afford to offer it. Even if they sell it at cover price, there is a great deal of added expense to get books to them. Creators make very little money on books sold through traditional retail. Direct sales allow creators to retain a better percentage of the sale price, allowing us to stay independent and make ambitious, premium-quality books.
- I worry about offending backers who may feel cheated if retailers get books at the same time. Backers come first. You believed in me and I plan to reward you properly for that.
- Sales through retail do not allow me to communicate with customers. I can't build a mailing list like this and that makes it hard to showcase future projects to fans.
- Quality control and fan satisfaction is extremely important to me. I can't control how individual stores operate and I can't guarantee store customers will receive their books in great condition if I don't fulfill orders directly.
Given these issues, I made the difficult choice to pull the book from the Diamond catalogue entirely. So, it will not be available to stores to resell.
However, I can't force retailers to take down their own listings! So, despite the listings being out there, they will not be able to fulfill orders. LIVE AND LEARN, I say!
Surveys Surveys Surveys!
Just a quick note about surveys. Looks like we're 86% through the Backer Surveys! Only a small number left to go. If you haven't filled your survey out, please do so as soon as you can. Remember, if you don't fill out your survey, I can't send your rewards as I need your shipping info!
That's it for today. Thanks for reading!